adsense

cam

Solo copea el codigo y dirigete a diseño/Html y pegas el codigo

Ads

03‏/03‏/2014

Oscars 2014: Slavery must be told from the point of view of slaves



Oscars 2014: "Slavery must be told from the point of view of slaves"



INTERVIEW - The English director 12 Years A Slave , crowned Best Film at the 86th ceremony , says Le Figaro have primarily sought to show a reality without filter, below the brutality of the book.advertising
CollectionMa new spring dressI crackFifth
After Hunger and Shame , videographer , born in London in 1969, confirms that it is also one of the most interesting filmmakers of his last years . With nine nominations , 12 Years A Slave was one of the favorites at the Oscars . Upon arrival, the academy ring 12 Years A Slave as the best film of the year proves that Hollywood has chosen to take a course and face without flinching the deep wounds of American history .
LE FIGARO . - How did you find 12 Years A Slave , Solomon Northup 's book ?
Steve MCQUEEN . - I had in mind the story of an African American man kidnapped and enslaved . For me, it was important that the character is African American and not for the viewer identifies with him . I started writing a script but I stagnais . My wife , Bianca Stigter , who is a historian , has researched the autobiography of Solomon Northup and gave it to me. Each page for me was a surprise and a revelation. I do not believe not know this book. And nobody around me had never heard of Solomon Northup . Immediately after reading it , I wanted to make a film. 12 Years A Slave is the only slave narrative written by a free man, kidnapped , then free again. The character is a man of the middle class , a musician, that's what interested me.
You are British . What this aspect of American history you he interested ?
Slavery is a world history. I came from the diaspora, my parents are from Grenada. As Marcus Garvey, Sidney Poitier or Colin Powell, I am living proof that slavery existed and that people have survived a terrible chapter of history. The difference between Americans and me is that their boat took on the left , mine on the right.
12 Years A Slave is it the reverse shot of Steven Spielberg's Lincoln , where the question of slavery was debated by whites ?
I saw Lincoln, the actors are excellent but it is not my cup of tea. The story is not told by those who are the subject. As in Amistad ( Spielberg film that tells the story of a slave mutiny aboard a ship and trial , Ed) . Who are the heroes in Amistad ? Anthony Hopkins and Matthew McConaughey . For me , perhaps because I'm Black , a story with slaves must be told from their point of view.
With Butler Lee Daniels or Ryan Coogler Fruitvale Station , one speaks of a black wave in American cinema . Do you agree ?
We talk every two years, but this may not be true. And I think the election of Barack Obama should not be underestimated in this phenomenon. His influence is enormous. Filmmakers felt legitimate to tell these stories.
The attitude of the producers she changed?
Yes, but it is Hollywood , so it is first necessary that the films make money .
Brad Pitt plays in the film and he is also the co-producer. Have you struggled to find funding ?
It is thanks to him that I could make the film. Brad contacted me after Hunger . When I told him I wanted to make a film about slavery, he helped me a lot with his company Plan B. It is a great actor and a great producer.


What was your limit to film the violence?
Some people find the brutal movie, but it is told in the book is much worse. The question is how far I can go. For example, I wondered how to stage the first beating . We do not see the back of Solomon, we see his face turn and the man who hit him . Then , we find the result when he removes his shirt. There is a crescendo in the film to the stage with Patsey I watch her ​​back when she is whipped . I can not lie to the public .
The scene of the hanging is also challenging . The plan sets , its duration and its construction evokes a video installation, your first media ...
It is a choice of staging, it has nothing to do with the video. This map shows a physical and mental torture. It is much stronger than cut the scene into several plans. See the children play in the background while Solomon, hanging from a tree, climbed on tiptoe not to die strangled may be perverse , but the world is evil . 
 And beautiful. People ask me why I shoot the way nature so beautiful. Have you ever been in Louisiana? It is so beautiful , the trees seem out of a fairy tale. I do not put a filter on the world, neither aesthetic nor moral . Feelings do not have their place. I do not want to manipulate the audience , I want to show what happened.

0 Comments:

إرسال تعليق

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More